maglib
Level 11

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

@667527_05345   Updated answers about Household employees under 18 .  Note if under $2k.... You posted about under $3k.

Pub 926 says:

"Wages not counted.

Don't count wages you pay to any of the following individuals as social security or Medicare wages, even if these wages are $2,000 or more during the year.

4) An employee who is under the age of 18 at any time during the year. Exception: Count these wages if providing household services is the employee's principal occupation. If the employee is a student, providing household services isn't considered to be his or her principal occupation. "

And
"Form W-2.

File a separate 2017 Form W-2 for each household employee to whom you pay either of the following wages during the year.

Social security and Medicare wages of $2,000 or more.

Wages from which you withhold federal income tax."

So for an employee under age 18 no W-2 is necessary as long as tax was not withheld - which would be very unusual.

In the childs return they would NOT have to pay SE taxes nor income taxes as long as they stayed under $6350 in total.  They report on their tax return with other wages and  on line to the left they type HSH $xxxx  and it's included in the income.

In TT the child files in Less Common Income/  Miscellaneous Income/ Other Income Not already Reported on a W-2 or 1099/  choose yes/ Household Employee Wages /   put the amount and TT puts it in the 1040 correctly with no taxes.

I hope this helped!!!
**I don't work for TT. Just trying to help. All the best.
***Say "Thanks" by marking as BEST ANSWER and clicking the thumb icon in a post and that I solved your question
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
I am NOT an expert and you should confirm with a tax expert.