My mom has Obamacare, she didn’t have any income in 2017, if i claim her as dependent on my tax return, can she still continue to receive her Obamacare insurance?

She is not paying any premium for her insurance, so want to know if claiming her as dependent will result in revoking of her Obamacare insurance

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

You need to find out if she is receiving "Medicaid" (which is free) or if she has a "Marketplace" plan (Bronze, Silver, Gold, or Platinum).

If she receives a 1095-A, it is a "Marketplace" plan.  If she receives a 1095-B, it is probably Medicaid.

If she does not have one yet, you may want to contact the insurance provider to find out if it is Medicaid or a Marketplace plan.

If it is a Marketplace plan (1095-A), she can still have insurance, but she will probably need to pay the FULL cost (which can be quite expensive) if you claim her as a dependent.

If it is Medicaid, it may depend on the State, but in many States, it will NOT affect her eligibility for free Medicaid.
georgesT

Yes, your dependent may lose the Premium Tax Credit for health insurance if you him(her) as depended. In addition, you will have to report that person’s 1095-A in your tax return and may need to repay some or all of any Advance credit the dependent received, depending on your adjusted gross income.

You would need to determine if the amount of savings by claiming the dependent outweigh the benefits of claiming the person on your tax return. See the link below for IRS requirement on subsidy eligibility

https://www.irs.gov/affordable-care-act/individuals-and-families/eligibility-for-the-premium-tax-cre...

Thanks, i am not really sure how these things work and if she has received any premium tax credit or advance credit, the only thing i know is that she doesn’t have to pay any monthly insurance premium as of now, will that change if i claim her as dependent? Is there a customer help number where i can talk to someone for better clarity?