How is the 5 efile limit counted? is it 5 per turbotax account used during the efile?

LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

By using TurboTax desktop edition, It allows you to e- file up to five federal tax returns. 

Please see below information for details.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3302087

You did not answer the question.  "How is it counted?"  E.g. does it check the number of e-files associated w/ a license key?

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

The number of e-files generated from the individual software that you purchased.  See here.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Jenmarmar
Returning Member

I have not used all 5 of my efiles in my home and business software and it says that I have reached my limit. I HAVE to efile tonight for the extension deadline. Why is it saying that I have reached my limit? Where can I see this? @JamesG1

Carl
Level 15

I have not used all 5 of my efiles in my home and business software

Maybe *YOU* haven't used the maximum of 5 e-files for your e-mail address. But that doesn't mean somebody didn't use your e-mail address to file theirs. Perhaps another family member?

The IRS (not turbotax) limits the number of returns you can e-file each year to 5 per e-mail address. So if you have another e-mail address, try it.

Jenmarmar
Returning Member

This is through the Home and Business software though. How would I go about doing that? My 21yr old daughter filed her own taxes on the free Turbo Tax online, but not through my software.

Carl
Level 15

Just work through everything under the FILE tab again, and use a different e-mail address. If you want text notifications for that return, then use a different phone number also.

You "may" need to install the software on a different computer also, then transfer the .tax2019 file from the old installation to the new one. It's located in the documents/turbotax directory.

Carl,

I'm not sure this is true.  I hit the 5 return limit every year.  The program doesn't count the # of returns done with the same email.  The email address entered at the very end of the e-file screens is different for every return I do.  TT still stops me at 5.  Another point.  How does the IRS know that the various returns came from the same copy of TT?  TT is the one "enforcing" the 5 limit.

I'd like to be able to "buy" a higher limit.  Is that possible short of buying the professional edition?  I'm not a "paid preparer".  I just know more than 5 people who ask me to do their taxes.  

@MartyDC  you are using desktop software. you registered the software with a unique number. so Turbotax can tell the number of returns filed using that registration number. you can call support but I believe each registered number for the desktop app is limited to 5 returns and can't be increased. 

a possible way around your issue is to prepare the returns online. you'll need a separate a/c for each return. you do not file. you show them how to finish the e-file and pay their return fees.

note what I have put in bold below. even as a non-paid preparer things can go south

it is unclear if you would be a paid preparer if you e-filed their returns paid the fees and ten they reimburse you for only the exact amount of fees.

the following is from an Intuit Pro connect Thread

§301.7701-15 defines when an individual is a preparer.  It is not clear you fall within any of the categories under subsection (f), which defines who is not.

If you really want to split hair, you should ask yourself whether the "processing fee" you charge is compensation.  I can see that it may not be if you are on PPR and you're strictly recovering only the cost of each return you are billed for by Intuit.  But I don't know anything about your subscription or your fees schedule to even make a guess.

What's your concern with filing these returns as Paid Preparer?  Even if you're an unpaid preparer, which means your name is not attached to the return, it can still come back to haunt you in some ways when things go south.  If you have concerns about your liability or reputation for these returns you don't charge a full fee for, perhaps you shouldn't prepare them at all.

@MartyDC - the IRS is controlling the limit - not Turbo Tax.   This is the way the IRS limits the risk of fraud....  since turbo tax (and other competitive softwares) are supposed to be used for home use and not professionally, the IRS assumes that if there are more than 5 e-files there is a higher risk of fraud as well as a better chance it is being used professionally.  

The desktop version of turbto tax can produce an unlimited number of tax returns.  While 5 can be efiled, the rest have to be paper filed.

here is the link to taxact, a competitor, stating the same thing

https://www.taxact.com/support/313/2019/e-filing-limit-of-five-returns#:~:text=If%20you're%20not%20a....

prostags

Now why would TT decide it needed to advise me about whether I am a paid preparer or not and try to protect me from "accidentally" being classified as one. This is nonsense. It's none of your business. The efiling limit is yours. You just want more fees for higher grade software IMO.  If I can file unlimited paper returns how is their any control over how many I do paid or unpaid. I'm a CPA w 5 kids who don't pay me. I'm willing to take the risk that the IRS may think I'm a paid preparer when I clearly am not. I don't file anyone's else's taxes because my practice is as a business consultant not a tax preparer. Why are you making this hard to do? There's no reason to try to protect me from me other than you want more money. Fess up.

CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

See requirement number 5 on page 31 of this IRS Publication: IRS Pub 1345. The IRS requires that software developers ensure there is no more than 5 electronic files from one software package or from one email address.

5. Ensure that it doesn’t accept transmission for more than five electronic returns originating from one software package or from one e-mail address;

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Yes, not it is 5 per license, I used to be able to efile the same account from different machines and this year it is forcing a check on the license. Boooo Turbotax!

@actieve 

Five federal e-files is an IRS limit---not a TurboTax limit.   Try googling some of the other commercial "do-it-yourself" tax software programs and you will notice how they mention 5 federal e-files----look at H & R Block, TaxSlayer,  Jackson-Hewitt, Liberty Tax, etc etc. etc.  If you can find one that says you get more than five federal e-files, let us know.  

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**