fjeld1228

How do I import my 2016 turbotax file (from the downloaded software) into 2017 on line?

Last year I used Turbotax downloaded to my computer..  This year I am trying to use Turbotax on line.  How do I import data from lst year's file?

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

See this TurboTax support FAQ for transferring 2016 tax data to the 2017 online editions - https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1900883-how-do-i-transfer-last-year-s-return-to-turbotax-online

You can transfer last year's tax data file (*.tax2016) if you're preparing your 2017 return in TurboTax Online Deluxe, Premier, or Self-Employed.

• You won't be able to transfer a PDF, it must be a *.tax file.
Note: If you already started your 2017 return in TurboTax Online, transferring will clear any info you have already entered. Please keep in mind, a .tax file from a previous year will not transfer if the file is password protected.
Here's how to transfer:
You must be using TurboTax Online on your computer to do this transfer (it won’t work from a mobile device/mobile web, or in the mobile app)

1. Sign in to TurboTax Online and start a new return, or continue a return you already started by selecting the Take me to my return
    • Remember, if you're continuing a return you started previously, transferring in last year's return will clear any info you already entered.
  2. After the screen has loaded, select the TaxTools drop-down menu in the left-hand column, and then select Tools.
  3. In the pop-up window, select the Transfer last year's TurboTax return from your computer link.

Follow the on-screen instructions to finish transferring your file.

View solution in original post