IreneS
Intuit Alumni

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

I suspect that only your federal return was e-filed.  While the CA Form 540 is available for e-filing, perhaps your return contained other forms that haven't been finalized. 

Your state return(s) will show a status of incomplete if you already filed your federal return by itself (or with another state).  If this is the case you can work on your state return now, but you will have to come back after your federal return is accepted to e-file it. E-filing a state by itself is only allowed once a federal return is accepted/rejected. 

The IRS will not be accepting any 2016 tax returns until January 23.  TurboTax will send you an email when the federal tax return has either been accepted or rejected by the IRS.

To access your state returns, after filing your federal return please follow these steps: 

1. On the Overview page, click on My TurboTax > My Tax Timeline.  [See Screenshot #1, below.]
  2. Click on Continue my [state] return.  [Screenshot #2]
  3. If you have not completed your state return, click on the State Taxes tab.  If you have completed your state return, click on the Review tab and go through the prompts to file your state return.  [Screenshot #3]

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post