My state employer ID number (box 15) is the same as it always has been and it is correct. I have verified that. Turbo tax keeps rejecting telling me it is wrong. HELP?

SandraM

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

Please review the information below for assistance with your State Employer Identification Number (EIN). 

This rejection can occur if you mistyped your employer's name or their EIN when you entered your W-2.

Other, less common reasons for this rejection:

• Your W-2 form is incorrect
  • Your employer's info in the IRS database is wrong

Grab your W-2 forms and then follow the solution steps below.

1. Sign in to your account and select the Fix my return button.
  2. At the Welcome back to Turbo Tax message, select or tap Fix It Now.
  3. Follow the onscreen instructions to fix the error and refile your return.
  4. Important: The employer name and EIN in Turbo Tax must exactly match the information in boxes b and c on your W-2 form.

Alternative Solution

You can also go directly to the W-2 screen to make your corrections:

1. Sign in to your account and select the Fix my return button.
  2. Search for W-2 and then select the "Jump to" link in the search results.
  3. Select Edit next to the W-2 in question.
  4. Compare the information in boxes b and c on the W-2 screen with your W-2 form.
  5. Important: The employer name and EIN must match exactly.
  6. Make any corrections, then select Continue.
  7. Select File in the left-hand menu (on mobile devices, select the menu icon in the upper-left corner, then select File).
  8. At the Welcome back screen, select Continue. (Do not select Fix my return, you've already done that).
  9. Follow the onscreen instructions to proceed with the filing process.

The EIN number is correct but my return keeps getting rejected.  Why?

Another, less likely possibility is that the EIN printed on your W-2 form is wrong. Contact your employer's payroll department for the correct EIN and ask them to send you a corrected W-2 (W-2C) for your records.

A third possibility is that the employer's name doesn't match the IRS database for that particular EIN. For example, if you entered "IBM" instead of "International Business Machines" or "UCLA" instead of "University of California, Los Angeles."

Please review the information below for assistance with your Employer Identification Number (EIN).

Turbo tax FAQ: https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/5660674