*.tax files for 2016 missing after computer crash

I need to recover my *.tax files for 2016 after a computer crash when Win10 updated a few months ago.  

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

If you used the desktop CD/Download editions installed on your computer, the only copy of your tax data file and any PDF's will be on the computer where the return was created.  TurboTax does not store online any returns completed using the desktop editions.

The tax data files would normally be located in Documents and in the TurboTax folder.  The Windows update may also have thrown those files into the Recycle Bin.

That didn't help.  After more than 20 years of using Turbo Tax I guess I expected too much. I'm sure you have those *.tax files stored somewhere.  And I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who suffered losses of *.tax files during the infamous botched Windows Anniversary update. So now it's off to a tax accountant to pick up the pieces. So long Turbo Tax.

Sorry for you situation.  But as was stated, TurboTax does not store any type of tax data for tax returns created with the desktop editions, never has.  That is why it has always been recommended to store any PDF's and data files on removable types of storage for backups.

How could TurboTax have the .tax files when you produced them locally on your on computer.   If you mean when you transmitted the return to TurboTax to e-file, then 1) that is the data on the tax return, not the .tax file, and 2) that data is simply delivered to the IRS just like mailing a letter and the post office does not keep a copy of your letter either.

Everybody should have ongoing backups of their hard drive just for such events.   You should be able to recover your tax files from the backups.
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**