Dave28

I have a 1099-Misc in my name for late wife's final pay (regular hours and accrued vacation). How to respond: 'Did this represent an attempt (on my part) to earn money?'

After she died, her employer issued a check, in my name, with her final pay, including accrued vacation time. I'm filing a joint return (for myself and deceased spouse), and after entering the 1099-Misc information, I come to the question 'Did this represent an attempt to earn money?'. How do I respond? I mean, it was her salary, so in that sense, it represented HER attempt to earn money, but we're talking about the distribution from MY perspective; I wasn't trying to make money, I was just collecting money owed her.

TIA...

JulieCo

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

The reason for this question is to determine whether you had a business, as with a business you could deduct expenses associated with earning the income and TurboTax will then lead you through those questions related to expenses.  

So either way you answer the question will be fine.  If you say "yes", you will be brought through more screens related to a business, for which you can answer in the negative.  And if you say "no", you will just be asked if you have any more 1099's to enter.

View solution in original post