Do I have to file a Form 37 Ohio RITA tax form when I don't live in a RITA city?

I am ready to file my Ohio Taxes by mail. The TT instruction sheet says that, but it also says that I need to file Form 17 to RITA. Although my husband works in a RITA city, we do not live in a RITA city. And we have never filed any RITA taxes at this home. The TT mail instructions say we must send to RITA our Fed 1040, Sch C and E. But we don't live in a RITA city, we live in a township that doesn't have RITA tax.
Hal_Al
Level 15

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

No. You should not have even prepared a RITA return* (form 37). Just don't  mail it or even print it. TT cannot e-file an Ohio City or RITA return. It must be printed and mailed.

You normally only have to file a return in the city you live in. It is not necessary to file one in the city you work in, if different. Your employer will remit withholding to the city you work in, but you do not file a return unless you're claiming a refund or your employer didn't withhold enough ( both highly unusual). 

*TurboTax (TT) does not automatically prepare a city return, you must initiate it. At the screen, in the Ohio program, titled  "A few things before we wrap up your state taxes"; scroll down to Ohio City taxes. 

View solution in original post