Hello, I need to declare my daughter who was born in 2016 as a dependent, but do not yet have her social security number. What should I do?

ChristinaS
Expert Alumni

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

You need to wait for it. You cannot submit an accurate and complete return without claiming your child, and you cannot submit a return without having her SSN. You also cannot apply for a separate tax ID#, as the child is currently an SSN applicant.

Most eligible children born in 2016 have their SSNs by now. Have you made the appropriate follow-ups with the SSA?

Keep in mind that returns that show refunds aren't negatively impacted by the 4/18 due date. If you expect to owe or want to be on the safe side, however, you should definitely file an extension. Pay any estimated tax due with this extension and file the return(s) as soon as the SSN arrives.

View solution in original post

Thank you! So if I understand you correctly, if I'm expecting a refund there is no need to apply for an extension -- I can just file late?
ChristinaS
Expert Alumni

Yes, that's right.... extensions help people who otherwise owe. If you file late and have a refund, the gov't is fine with holding your money. There's no penalty.