1099-G Box-1 $ amount is indicated as Total Overpayment (unemployment)

I received unemployment in 2015 which was recorded on my tax return for that year (Accountant prepared them for me that year).  I am preparing my own taxes this year and received a 1099-G indicating a Total Amount Overpaid in 2016 - I am not certain what that means?  There are 2 areas to enter 1099 info here not sure which section to enter it in.
jbeasley2

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

There are several uses for the 1099-G form, and different places in TurboTax to enter them.  The 1099-G for an overpayment is more than likely your state refund from last year, which can be taxable if you itemized deductions last year.  If your 1099-G is for unemployment, see below where to enter it.

You can enter the 1099-G for state refund here:

• Select Federal Taxes (Personal if using TurboTax Self-Employed or Home and Business)
  • Select Wages & Income (I'll choose what i work on)
  • You may need to click on Skip to see all income
  • Scroll down to Other Common Income
  • Click on Show more and Refunds Received for State/Local Tax Returns
  • Start or Update

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4768356

If your 1099-G is for unemployment or paid family leave,

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4768357

View solution in original post

Hi!

I followed the info above for an overpayment on state taxes from 2019. Unfortunately, TurboTax now wants me to fill in a farm or business refund.  The source is a business I own or a farm I operate. Am I in the wrong place?

thank you!

AnnetteB6
Employee Tax Expert

If you are trying to enter information about your 2019 state tax refund reported on Form 1099-G, you do appear to be in the wrong place.  

Use these steps to get started:

• On the top row of the TurboTax online screen, click on Search (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax locate the search box in the upper right corner)
  • This opens a box where you can type in “state and local tax refund” (be sure to enter exactly as shown here) and click the magnifying glass (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax, click Find)
  • The search results will give you an option to “Jump to state and local tax refund
  • Click on the blue “Jump to state and local tax refund” link and enter your information

@Jmruebusch

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@AnnetteB6 Thank you, I can get the information entered for the 1099-G, but after I am done with income, TurboTax asks me to indicate the payment type or type of government payment on box 8 of the form. I do not have box 8 (only 1-4). 

Any thoughts?

Jessica

AnnetteB6
Employee Tax Expert

My suggestion is that you delete the Form 1099-G entry that you have made and start again.  It seems things are still not quite in the right place for a state tax refund.

Go to the main Income & Expenses section of your return and scroll down to the Other 1099-G Income section.  Edit this section and delete any Form 1099-G that you see there by clicking Delete or the trash can icon.

Then, use the following steps to start again with the Form 1099-G:

• On the top row of the TurboTax online screen, click on Search 
  • This opens a box where you can type in “state and local tax refund” (be sure to enter exactly as shown here) and click the magnifying glass 
  • The search results will give you an option to “Jump to state and local tax refund
  • Click on the blue “Jump to state and local tax refund” link
  • Be sure to check the box for State or Local income tax refunds 

You will know you are on the right track if you see some follow-up question after entering your information that ask about whether you used the standard deduction or itemized deductions on your 2019 tax return.

@Jmruebusch

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"