SandraM

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

This usually means that someone else, such as an ex-spouse, has already claimed your dependent. For confidentiality reasons, the IRS is unable to disclose who that person is.

Less commonly, you can get a rejection if you entered a dependent's Social Security number incorrectly or if somebody filed a fraudulent return using your dependent's Social Security number.

The solution:

To remove an already-claimed dependent:

1. Sign in to your account and select the Fix my return button.
  2. At the Welcome back to TurboTax message, select My Info in the left-hand menu.
    • Mobile devices: Select the menu icon in the upper-left corner, then select My Info.
  3. On the Personal info summary screen, select Delete to the right of the dependent, answer Yes, then Done.
  4. Next, select Review (on mobile devices, select the menu icon in the upper-left corner, then Review).
  5. Step through the review section; when finished, we'll move you to the File section where you can e-file your return again.
    • Note: Do not select Fix my return (you've already done that).

Otherwise, if you want to claim the dependent:

1. Sign in to your account and select the Fix my return button.
  2. At the Welcome back to TurboTax message, select Fix It Now.
  3. Compare your dependent's SSN to the number on their Social Security card.
  4. Follow the onscreen instructions to either correct their Social Security number and re-file, or file a paper return.

What happens if I answer "Yes" (their SSN is correct)?

We'll walk you through paper-filing your return because the e-file server won't let the same SSN go through twice.

The IRS will eventually contact both claimants to determine who rightfully gets to claim the dependent. Once they've figured it out, one of you will have to repay any additional taxes (plus possible penalties and interest) attributed to the duplicate claim.

What if I don't know who claimed my dependent?

It's likely that somebody filed a fraudulent return using your dependent's information. Please contact us right away for further assistance.

Helpful resources

View solution in original post