How do I enter estimated taxes paid in 2017 for the 2017 tax year? There is nothing about a 2017 tax year in Turbo Tax Premier online

All the help sections say to go to Deductions & Credits/Other/Estimated taxes paid - There is nothing there about estimated taxes

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

So, now we use the actual user input flow since nothing else seems to help -

Click on Federal on the left side of the screen

Click on Deductions and Credits on the top of the screen

Click on Check for more Tax Breaks

Click on See list of all tax breaks

Scroll down to Estimates and Other Taxes Paid, click on Show More

On Estimated Tax Payments, click on Start

Or click on Tax Tools on the left side of the screen.

• Click on Tools
  • Click on Topic Search
  • Type in estimated tax payments, click on GO

View solution in original post

Perfect! Thank you.  This worked..

Go to "Other Business Situations" under the Federal tab to enter your Federal and State estimated payments.
fruetel

Follow the Recommended Answer above--- it worked for me (2017 TurboTax Premier online).

To enter, edit or delete estimated taxes paid (Federal, State, Local) - 

• Click on Federal Taxes (Personal using Home and Business)
  • Click on Deductions and Credits
  • Click on I'll choose what I work on (if shown)
  • Scroll down to Estimates and Other Taxes Paid
  • On Estimates, click on the start or update button

Or enter estimates paid in the Search box located in the upper right of the online program screen.  Click on Jump to estimates paid

Or click on Tax Tools on the left side of the screen.

• Click on Tools
  • Click on Topic Search
  • Type in estimated tax payments, click on GO

So - Do I have to upgrade to Home and Business version to get this? My Premier version does not have anything about estimates

Sure it does, as does the Deluxe edition.
What do you see when you enter estimates paid in the Search box?

It takes me to Other Income Taxes: Payments with extentions; 2016 refund applied to 2017; and Other taxes paid in 2017. Choices under #3 are: Withholdings not entered, or balance due on 2016 paid in 2017, or payments for 2015 or prior year - That's it

I have this same problem.  It asks for 2017 taxes with extension and this does not work

Then follow the procedure as shown in the answer at the top of this thread.

When I enter estimates paid (lower case only) in the Search box located in the upper right of the program screen.  Then I click on the link Jump to estimates paid - The options for entering federal, state and local estimated taxes is shown under the heading Estimated Tax Payments

See Screenshot

I think there is a bug in the 2017 online version (that was also there in the 2016 online version) that suppresses the estimated taxes paid section during the interview. The help kept telling me to click the "Jump to" link but the search was not giving me any such link. I could not find instructions that worked until I reached my state return. After I successfully got a "Jump to" link, the estimated taxes paid section appeared under federal deductions.
cmcburney

Paying estimated taxes with an extension is a major area for tax payments. Why is it so difficult to enter them? It's absurd, given it is a major area of tax payments (as indicated on the IRS website and state websites for extension payments)

FYI - This is a new forum layout. Some posts that have June 2019 dates are really older posts from the old forum that got moved over. So they might be for prior years and not current info. When they migrated over the dates got changed to June 2019. And the screen shots got deleted. 

Did you use Turbo Tax to file the extension?  Then it should automatically show up on 1040 Schedule 3 line 10 which goes to 1040 line 18d.  So make sure it's not already there before you enter it!

If your extension payment did not automatically show up on 1040 Schedule 3 line 10 which goes to 1040 line 18d you need to enter it.  So make sure it's not already there before you enter it!

You can type estimates paid in the search box at the top of your return and click Find and it will give you a link to Jump To the screen where you enter Extension Payments.

To enter the amount you paid with an extension (including state extension)  go to

Federal Taxes (or Personal for desktop H&B version)

Deductions and Credits

Then scroll way down to Estimates and Other Taxes Paid

Other Income Taxes - Click the Start or Update button

Next page second section Payments with Extension

Either Visit All or Click Start or Update by the extension you paid

Pay attention to which year you are entering for a State Extension payment.  A prior year state extension payment is also deductible on the federal return so be sure to enter it here.

To get the amount paid on a state extension to show up on the state return……

When you are done updating your federal return, you need to transfer the new federal information by going back through the state tab and the state return. Nothing will change until you transfer the fed info to the state again.

In the Desktop program you can switch to Forms Mode and open the Tax Payments Worksheet (up under Federal) and check or enter the state extension payment.