kdortenzo

How do you prove crossover between parents' health insurance and coverage under a plan through Obamacare? 1095A obviously does not show coverage under parents' plan.

I was covered from Jan-April in 2018 under my parents' health insurance. In May (my 30 day grace period), I enrolled in a plan via Obamacare under special enrollment starting June 1. As a result, my 1095A only shows coverage from June-December of 2018, and I don't know how to prove I was covered under my parents' plan until that time (with the exception of one month only - May). Turbotax now says that I need to pay the penalties for not having insurance, when I was covered until purchasing my own plan. Please help!

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

Form 1095-A is not what shows that you had coverage.

• On the very first screen in the health insurance interview there are three choices. You should select the third option, "I'll pick which months I had it."
  • The next screen tells you to select the months that you had insurance. You should have a check in the box for every month except May.
  • The next screen asks if you have a situation that waives the penalty. Don't check any of the boxes. Just click Continue.
  • The next screen will tell you that the penalty has been waived. That's because TurboTax automatically gives you the "short coverage gap" exemption because your gap in coverage was less than three months.

Then proceed through the rest of the health insurance interview, which will include entering your 1095-A.

View solution in original post