June 6, 2019 12:13 AM
To correctly enter the 1099-MISC so that it does not prompt a Schedule C, take the following steps:
- In your open Federal return, choose the tab for Wages & Income
- Tab through or down to Other Common Income (Show More) and Start/Revisit Form 1099-MISC
- Edit the 1099-MISC if you already entered it, or Add it now and enter the information on the form, then Continue.
- On the screen Describe the reason for this 1099-MISC enter the reason you received the income.
- On the screen Does one of these uncommon situations apply? choose None of these apply.
- On the screen Did the [Description] involve work that's like [Name's] main job? answer No.
- On the next screen, choose the year you received the money. (In this case, 2018.)
- On the screen Did the [Description] involve an intent to earn money? choose No and complete the interview.
A corresponding entry will appear on Form 1040, Schedule 1, Line 21 of your return.