Intuit Alumni

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

If you decide to apply for an ITIN, you can leave him on the taxes.  In order to claim him on your taxes, he has to have an SSN or ITIN.  However, you cannot e-file.  You must paper-file.  The IRS issues ITINs to foreign nationals who do not qualify for SSNs. See steps below how you enter the information in the program.  

  • In the program,  leave the SSN space blank
  • After completing the return, print out the forms. Write APPLIED in the son's SSN space.
  • As TurboTax does not support the Form W-7, fill out the forms by following  W-7 and attach other required documentation
  • Submit all forms and documents to the IRS Austin location in Texas.  (see Form W-7 instructions)

View solution in original post