maoweidou

I am in F-1 visa using my OPT now. I didn't find the system asking if I am a resident or not. Therefore, I wonder if the calculation was correct or not.

LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

when was the first year you entered US with the visa ?
maoweidou

I entered US in August 2012.
LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

See answer below.
maoweidou

Thank you for your helpful information and advice.
LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

You are very welcome !
LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

As a F-1 visa holder, you are considered as "exempt" meaning not counting days for five years starting from the date of your first arrival in the United States.  After the five years period, you will start counting days by using the Substantial Presence Test  to see if you qualify to be treated as a US resident for tax purposes.

In your situation, you are considered as a nonresident from 2012-2016 filing a Form 1040NR.  Starting from 01/01/2017, you will start counting your days.  If you meet the Substantial Presence Test in 2017, you will be considered a US resident for tax purposes and file a Form 1040 for your tax year of 2017.

With that being said, for tax year of 2016, you will need to file a Form 1040-NR and TurboTax does not support any of the nonresident tax forms.  You are advised to use Sprintax, our partner to complete your filing. 

View solution in original post