malbath1

Do I still have to file for taxes if I haven't earned any money during 2016? I'm here on a non-immigrant visa (J-1).

I successfully filed for tax return through turbotax last year.

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

since when are you in the US on J1? is it a student or nonstudent visa?
malbath1

I've been on a J1 since Oct 2014 and have filed for tax returns for 2014 and 2015.
malbath1

I just haven't received any pay for the period between Jan-Dec 2016, so my employer has not provided me with a W-2 form for that period.

is it a student or nonstudent visa?
malbath1

It's a non-student non-immigrant exchange visitor visa for academic scholars.
malbath1

I am not tax exempt. My employer covers my health insurance and withholds federal and state taxes on my behalf.

If you have not earned any income in 2016 you do not need to file a return. However, any income, no matter the source (including income from abroad) would be reportable in the US, if you meet the substantial presence tet.

For 2015 you were a nonresident alien (the first two years on J1 you area nonresident alien) and would have had to file form 1040NR or 1040NR-EZ plus form 8843. Since these are not supported by Turbotax, you most likely filed the wrong return for 2015 and will need to amend.

View solution in original post

malbath1

Thank you! Your answer is very helpful. I do want to clarify that I have been present in the US since 2013, but on a different type of visa (F-2 student visa) and have met the criteria for resident alien in 2015, and that is how I filed. Thanks again!