My 17 year old received a 1099 for $1463.50 in 2016 and was sent a 1099-misc. Does he need to file?

i went to the bother of filling out all the information using the product i purchased for myself, Turbotax Home and Business, and see that he neither owes nor is owed taxes, but there is no 1040EZ being printed.  do i even need to mail anything in?  Why won't anything generate when i ask turbo tax to print (only instructions print with no actual tax forms) ?

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

If your dependent has a W-2 for his after-school job, summer job, etc. you do not include the information on your own return. You can still claim your child as a dependent on your own return.  He/she can file his own return for a refund of some of his withheld wages (he won’t get back anything for Social Security or Medicare), but MUST indicate on it that he can be claimed as a dependent on someone else’s return.  (Supervise this closely or prepare it for him!)

If your dependent’s earnings were over $400 and were reported on a 1099Misc then he must file a return and pay self-employment tax for Social Security and Medicare.  You may want to use this version of TT for that:

https://turbotax.intuit.com/taxfreedom/

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

View solution in original post

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

Are you using the Home & Business Desktop CD/Download program?  Yes it should have given him the self employment tax on the 1099Misc income.  Unless he had more expenses and shows a loss on schedule C.  You must have entered something wrong.

He should have the full 1040 and a Schedule C for it.