If my business requires me to write articles and reviews on wine to post to my company website, and I have to buy that wine, can I consider that an expense?

JulieH1

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

Yes.

The IRS allows you to spend money on what is reasonable and necessary to run your business.  Just keep receipts and any other proof for the business such as your articles on that wine, etc.

One caveat may be if the IRS wants to know if you share it or use any personally.  If you do not use the full bottle in your business reviews, they might expect you to only claim the percentage of the bottle you use for the actual review.  Just be prepared to back up what you deduct because your situation is unique.

View solution in original post

Where on the tax form would I record that expense?
JulieH1

I would think supplies or you can enter it in one of the blank sections that you can name.  Maybe call it samples?
JulieH1

In TurboTax, simply search for "Schedule C" and then click the "Jump to" link in the search results.

Then (assuming your business has already been set up in TurboTax), you'll want to click Edit next to your business and then scroll down to the Business Expenses topic on the Your Business summary screen.

Otherwise, if you haven't set up your business yet, follow the onscreen instructions and eventually you'll come to the part where we ask about your business-related expenses.