dav547

I had no job for the past year, I was only studying abroad , should I do my taxes ?

LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

If you did not work or did not meet the filing requirements, you are not required to file a tax return.  Click here: Filing requirements 

However, without a job and income, you might still be able to claim a partial portion of the American Opportunity Tax Credit, but not Lifetime Learning Credit or Tuition Fees Deductions.

The American Opportunity Credit provides up to $2,500 for paying for an undergraduate student's tuition. The credit is partially refundable, meaning that you might be able to get 40 percent of the tax credit even if you have no tax liability. The other 60 percent of the credit can only be used to offset your tax liability, therefore, if you did not work and have no tax liability, you will not get this portion of the credit. 

However, for Lifetime Learning Credit, the credit is not refundable at all, which means that you can only use it to reduce your tax liability. If you don't work and don't have any other taxable income, you will not be able to use the credit. 

In order to qualify for an educational credit or deduction, the school must be an educational institution eligible to participate in a student aid program run by the U.S Department of Education.  To check your foreign school is eligible, click here:

https://fafsa.ed.gov/spa/fsc/#/SEARCH?locale=en_US

View solution in original post