cworton1

Filing taxes for deceased parents

My mother and stepfather both passed away in 2016.  There is no estate and no executer.  I have all of their income info but I do not have any mortgage info.  Can I file a simple 1040ez with income only? What if they owe?
Thanks for helping
EricG1

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

I'm sorry for your loss. In order to file a return for decedent, you will need to create another account in order to file another individual tax return in TurboTax Online, but you can use your email address to create the other account, you will just choose a different User ID and password.  For instructions on how to do so, please see the following TurboTax FAQ:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3288574

Please see the following TurboTax FAQ for more information on filing a decedent return:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3300219
cworton1

I know that..... That's not what I asked
EricG1

For a deceased, you won't be able to file a 1040 EZ. You'll need the 1310. See the info here: <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3300099">https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3300099</a>
cworton1

I believe they owe taxes.... Not getting refund
How does that work? Who is responsible if no estate?
cworton1

Also.... I have none of their mortgage info.... Only income info.... Is it ok to file without
MichaelDC

A little addition to the excellent answer above: 

It sounds like it would be best to file an extension. You’ll need to estimate, to the best of your ability, what you think they owe. Use TurboTax to do a mock return and pay the balance due with the extension. (See extension instructions below.) That will buy you enough time to get everything in order. 

Upon their death, a new taxpaying entity (an estate) was automatically created to make sure taxes get paid. You will need to check with your state law. In the case of a person with a small or no estate, and no disagreement among the surviving relatives, it may be a simple form that you fax to the county clerk's office or the clerk of the probate court. Look on your state's government web site for information about small estates.If you have to borrow money from the estate or lend money temporarily to the estate to pay the taxes, keep good records. Income is taxed either on the taxpayer's final return, or on the return of the beneficiary (possibly you) who acquires the right to receive the income after death.

Only income earned between the beginning of the year and the date of death should be reported on your parents' final return.

As far as deductions go, all deductible expenses paid before death can be written off on the final return. Estimate the mortgage or call the mortgage company, though they probably received a Form 1098 already if they had one. In addition, medical bills paid within one year after death may be treated as having been paid by the decedent at the time the expenses were incurred. That means the cost of a final illness can be deducted on the final return even if the bills were not paid until after death.

If deductions are not itemized on the final return, the full standard deduction may be claimed, regardless of when during the year, the taxpayer died. Even if the death occurred on January 1, the full standard deduction is available. The same goes for the taxpayer's personal exemption. TurboTax will take care of these particulars.

To file your extension, select Easy Extension from the MyTurboTax drop-down menu.

If you don't see a "My TurboTax" menu, search for extend inside your program and then click or tap the "Jump to" link.

You can also go the Easy Extension site to e-file your extension or print out Form 4868 from the IRS, fill it out, and mail it on or before April 18. Complete mailing instructions are on the printout.

Note: An IRS extension gives you until October 16 to file, but it won't give you until October to pay your taxes. Those are still due April 18.