fatboyfry

So my girlfriend and i live together. Am i able to claim her child if she is in no way related to me at all? also note that my license still has my old address on it.

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

Is the mother or the father of the child claiming the child on their tax returns?

Only if the child lived with you the entire year, you paid more than half of the child's total support for the year AND the child's parent that lives with the child is not required to file a tax return.     If that parent is required to file a tax return then the child would be that parents dependent whether they choose to claim or not and cannot be claimed by an unrelated person.
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

Many factors determine whether a person will qualify as your dependent.

Please use the qualifying test from the IRS to find out!

https://www.irs.gov/help/ita/whom-may-i-claim-as-a-dependent

Here are just a few guidlines:

In general, to be a taxpayer’s qualifying child, a person must satisfy four tests:

• Relationship — the taxpayer’s child or stepchild (whether by blood or adoption), foster child, sibling or step-sibling, or a descendant of one of these.
  • Residence — has the same principal residence as the taxpayer for more than half the tax year. Exceptions apply, in certain cases, for children of divorced or separated parents, kidnapped children, temporary absences, and for children who were born or died during the year.
  • Age — must be under the age of 19 at the end of the tax year, or under the age of 24 if a full-time student for at least five months of the year, or be permanently and totally disabled at any time during the year.
  • Support — did not provide more than one-half of his/her own support for the year

From <https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/4155907-claim-granddaughter-and-daughter?jump_to=similar-questions

View solution in original post

Hal_Al
Level 15

Only if the child lived with you the entire year, you paid more than half of the child's total support for the year AND the child's parent that lives with the child is not required to file a tax return.  

Even if the child  qualifies as a dependent,  because he is not related, he cannot be a qualifying child for the earned income credit, child tax credit or Head of Household filing status.

There are two types of dependents, "Qualifying Children"(QC) and standard ("Qualifying Relative" in IRS parlance even though they don't have to actually be related). There is no income limit for a QC but there is an age limit, a relationship test and a residence test. Only a QC qualifies a taxpayer for the Earned Income Credit and the Child Tax Credit.