New Member

Can I use Hud-1 Settlement Statement to report taxes, insurance, etc.?

I bought a home and did not receive a 1098 form from the original mortgage company. I only received a 1098 from the mortgage company that purchased my mortgage and services the loan. Can I use my Hud-1 Settlement Statement to report Taxes, insurance, and other cost incurred for purchase and where can I report these items?
Employee Tax Expert

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

Yes, you can use the HUD-1 settlement statement to locate the additional expenses not reported on form 1098. Be careful not to duplicate the expenses. Select Federal Taxes>Deductions & Credits. Enter interest, points, mortgage insurance and property taxes in the Your Home section.

Items on HUD settlement statement that may be deductible:

  • interest paid at the time of purchase (the charge at closing would normally be done for interest up to the date of first payment). Line 901.
  • real estate taxes charged to you. Line 1004.
  • points - On a refinance they need to be amortized over the life of the loan; unless the points were used to improve your main home, - lines 801 and 802, net on 803 on the HUD-1
  • private mortgage insurance costs but, if prepaid, only the amount allocated to this year based on an 84 month amortization. Line 902/1003.

Other fees, such as commissions, attorney fees, preparation of deed, abstract fees, owner title insurance, recording fees are added to the basis of your home, and not deductible.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post