How do I get the Hearing Aid Assistance Tax credit?

Just purchased hearing aids, saw there was a "Hearing Aid Assistance Tax Credit." How do i get that?

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

There is not a Hearing Aid Assistance Tax credit available on a 2016 tax return.

You may be referring to propsal introduced in the Congress during 2017 which has not been enacted as of this date.

See https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/senate-bill/48

View solution in original post

Is this a state credit perhaps?
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

I checked, and don't see one.

A similar Federal bill was considered back in 2014, but never passed.

@davidsstubbs 2
"Just purchased"  IF such a bill becomes law in 2017, you would claim it on your 2017 return that you file in early 2018.

Sorry but no.  The proposed law (if it passes and passes as written) says:

c) Effective date.—The amendments made by this section shall apply to taxable years beginning after December 31, 2017.

So it will not be retroactive to the 2017 tax year.
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

Thanks to all responders. I saw the 2014 bill (I guess), but didn't notice it wasn't passed. And the chances that this Congress will pass it seem low.

But you can still claim them as a Medical itemized deduction.