Hopeful1
Returning Member

Should my parents or partner claim me as a dependent and what's included in calculating total support?

We're trying to file our returns and learned that either my parents or partner could claim me as a dependent.  I'm over 24 and was a full-time student for half of 2017.  I don't have a W-2 as I didn't work, but I did receive financial aid which sort of supported me.

Based on my situation below, who would be eligible to claim me? Also, do I have to report the money remaining from grants and allowance from parents/partner as "taxable income"? 

Situation:
1) Tuition was fully covered by financial aid (grants only) and I had less than $4000 left over after tuition that I got to spend on textbooks, other school expenses and personal expenses
2) Both parents and partner sent me some money - Amount is almost equivalent.  Let's say they both sent me $1000 each.
3) Partner paid for 80% of rent, groceries, household necessities, meals at all times in in 2017 and paid 100% utilities, renters insurance etc. 

georgesT

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

Your Parents or partner may each qualify to claim you as qualifying relative as long as they provided more than half of your support. The additional information you provided indicate your partner provided the most of the financial support and should be the one claiming you. You do not have to report the allowance you received from parent/partner as income and the remaining $4000 of grant if used for qualified expenses(required books and supplies) is excluded from reportable income. The remainder of the grant you used for personal expenses is not enough income to require you to file taxes. See below IRS requirements for qualifying relatives. 

Qualifying relative

• They don't have to be related to you.
  • They aren't claimed as a dependent by someone else.
  • They are a U.S. citizen, resident alien, national, or a Canadian or Mexican resident.
  • They aren’t filing a joint return with their spouse.
  • They lived with you the entire year or they were related to you.
  • They made less than $4,050 in 2017.
  • You provided more than half of their financial support.

View solution in original post