jomarch24

TurboTax (2018) insists my husband is filing standard deduction and not itemizing. I keep changing it, but TT keeps changing it back. How do I correct this?

jomarch24

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

Unfortunately the response I received about "choosing itemized deductions" has nothing to do with my version of TT for this year. That option doesn't exist.

Can you give me more detail on the tax situation?

Are you filing as Married filing separate? or Joint?

Tell me why you want the itemized, when the standard deduction higher?

You do have this option in your program.
jomarch24

We are married filing separately. I have a foreign residence and want to deduct housing, though the foreign housing deduction option isn't provided for some reason and I have to deal with that as well. Once I've tried both, I can decide but often that turns out better for me. And I do not have that option. Believe me. I've tried it a thousand times. It tells me what the program has chosen for me, but does not allow me to change it. The instructions you gave do not exist on my program.

I edited the answer and follow these steps as I just did it on mine in the self-employed program

Did this work for you?
jomarch24

Unfortunately not....
jomarch24

it will not allow me to change my husband's return to "itemized," and therefore mine cannot be, either.
jomarch24

it will not allow me to change my husband's return to "itemized," and therefore mine cannot be, either.
dmertz
Level 15

[Deleted]

If you cannot change this you will need to talk to someone live.  Please click and I am sorry I could not show you how to fix this.
Go to this link: <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/">https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/</a>

TurboTax will automatically give you the higher of the two (Itemize or standard), however if you want the itemize when it is lower than the standard then, please review the below to do this: Try this step (as it much easier than explained below and I just did it on mine. I show you in the TurboTax self-employed program.  If that is correct do this click on Personal (not Personal Information) then Deductions and Credits I'll chose what I work on go to bottom and say Done with Deductions click continue if it asks about IRA's click skip this if asks about deductions no longer allowed Click continue on here are the 2018 deductions and credits then the screen will say, "The Standard deduction is right for you.  There is a box to check to "Change my deduction, then click on Itemized deduction.  EDITED: [3-4-2019 7:06 AM PST]
dmertz
Level 15

Each time you visit the question, TurboTax will select the default answer (Standard deduction) even if TurboTax is presently itemizing.  Select Itemize deductions, click the Continue button and move on.

Confirm that TurboTax is using itemized deductions by viewing line 8 of Form 1040, not by revisiting the question.

Be aware that if one of you itemizes, both must itemize.

jomarch24

Except it all goes back to the question of whether I can use the Foreign Housing Deduction (NOT exemption). And the form has it checked to "no." And I can't change it. I can't override it. I think this is why....
dmertz
Level 15

So your actual question is:  Why is TurboTax not giving the Foreign Housing Expense deduction? (That's a different question than the one you asked.)

Which form has which box marked "No," Form 2555?  Form 2555 has nothing to do with whether or not the Standard deduction or Itemized deductions are used.  If all of the Foreign Earned Income is already excluded, there isn't any additional exclusion or deduction for foreign housing expenses.  From the Instructions for Form 2555:  "You cannot exclude or deduct more than your foreign earned income for the year."