christinahanna7
Returning Member

I married at the end of 2018 to a foreigner, I live in CA but my husband never lived wz me. what should be my status on the tax return? what & how should I file?

KarenJ
Intuit Alumni

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

Your filing status on the last day of the year determines your filing status for the entire year.  As you were married you can either file as married filing jointly or married filing separately.

Married filing separately would be your easiest choice. 

Assuming your husband does not have a SSN or an Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN), if you chose to file married filing separately, you will need to enter a "dummy" SSN in TurboTax for your husband just so you can complete your return.  You can enter 999-88-9999.  However when you have completed your return, you cannot e-file.  You will need to print your return and "white out" the dummy SSN.  In its place you need to write "NRA" for nonresident alien and mail your return.

If you want to file married filing jointly it is more complicated.  He will need to declare his worldwide income on the return.  If he does not have an ITIN. you will need to apply for one with Form W-7 and attach the completed form and your husband's original identification tax documents to your return.  You will also need to attach a manually prepared statement signed by both of you , the 6013 g election (if he is not living in the US). 

For more information on the Form W-7 to apply for an ITIN  please see the following link: http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw7.pdf

For more information on the election to file a joint return with a nonresident spouse please see Publication 519,

page 9.  https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-prior/p519--2017.pdf

View solution in original post

christinahanna7
Returning Member

Thank you for being helpful, could i prepare and print it on turbo tax?
KarenJ
Intuit Alumni

Yes, you can prepare this in TurboTax!