Sfumato
Returning Member

Does Turbo TaxCaster include Self Employment Tax in estimate?

I entered that I am self-employed in the tax-caster. I'm wondering if it includes the self employment tax, as that is a huge part of the tax amount owed for self employed persons. Thanks.

Critter
Level 15
Intuit Approved! This answer has been verified for accuracy by an Intuit expert employee

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

Yes it does if you enter the income in the SE section. 

View solution in original post

jamesnbent
Returning Member

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

Critter, 

I've read that as a self-employed independent contractor, making over $400 a year, is required to pay the 15.3% SE tax, yet the tax estimation from TT Home & Business says I don't owe ANY tax, which I assume means that my required SE tax is being covered somehow - maybe, I hope. (To avoid possible IRS penalties, I've made estimated tax payments on-time throughout 2019.)

I file jointly with my wife and we always get a Federal refund. Her employer w/h's Fed Income Tax, FICA and State tax. I receive SS income which w/h's Fed Income tax. Our 401k distributions also w/h Fed and State income taxes. I started working as an independent contractor in Mar 2019. I'll be getting a 1099-MISC from my sole client.

Does the estimated tax from TT H&B consider my SE tax in it's estimates? (I think so since I have entered my SE gross income and expenses in the tax estimation portion of TT 2019 to estimate taxes for 2020.) How is the required 15.4% SE tax being paid if I don't send in estimated tax vouchers?