Can I pay tax by bank account? First time tax filer!

I have never filed any tax return in the U.S. I owe 20k income tax for year 2017 that is supposed to be paid off before April 17 2018 deadline. I also need to pay estimated tax 6k for first quarter of 2018 before April 17.

I just opened a new U.S bank account several days ago and there is now enough balance inside to pay. I have not yet received the debit card that is being mailed to me. I don't have check either. What I do have is the money inside and routing number and account number.

I checked https://www.irs.gov/payments

"Direct Pay With Bank Account" requires previous tax filing information to authenticate. I don't have that so I cannot use it. Debit card? No, I have not yet received the debit card. Credit card? No. The fee is too high. Wire transfer? No. fees high!

Will the two options "Electronic Federal Tax Payment System", "Electronic Funds Withdrawal" work for me? Which option does not require previous year's filing information to authenticate, which first-time filer like me does not have?

PaulaM
Expert Alumni

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

Yes, you can make your payments via EFTPS after you enroll.

Welcome to EFTPS

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I just paid by bank account, here is what I needed to have :

1.  I needed to have drivers licenses for both myself & my wife (married filing jointly)

2.  I needed to demonstrate deep knowledge of my 2016 tax returns (adjusted gross income, filing status, and number of deductions).

After passing these two sets of questions, you can file via your bank account.

Just print out your tax returns and mail them.  It's what I've done for 90% of the tax returns in my lifetime, and I always did it for state because there was always an extra free for e-filing of state taxes.

As long as you mail the taxes on April 17th, with a check, you will be okay. The taxes just have to show a postage mark of April 17th or earlier. 

If you have to go to the bank and get a certified check and mail the taxes insured / certified mail, that would be one way to do it.  The bank should have given you some temporary checks when you opened the account - that could work, too.