My partner never got his w2s from his previous employer. He called and was informed that he didnt qualify for one. Does that mean he doesnt have to file? What does he do?

TomD8
Level 15

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

He has to file a return if his income exceeded the filing threshold for his filing status, even if he received no W-2 or 1099-MISC.

Does he know if taxes were withheld from his paychecks?  Does he have any stubs from his paychecks?

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.

He does not know if taxes were withheld (we assume, but we aren't remotely tax literate so we don't know concretely). What is the the filing threshold for him if he filed single? He does not have paycheck stubs as everything is online for that company.
TomD8
Level 15

The filing threshold for a W-2 employee under age 65 filing as Single is $12,000.  The threshold for a self-employed individual is only $400. Does he have any record of what he made during the year?
**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.

Well, good thing about that is we know he made less than that without the paperwork (it was a retail job with an hourly wage that would MAYBE reach 12000 for a full year). And he is below the age of 65. Does that mean he doesnt have to file?
TomD8
Level 15

Federal law requires all employers to send employees W-2 statements no matter how low their earnings or wages are.  If they legitimately told him he "did not qualify for a W-2", the $12,000 threshold doesn't apply to him.  He MUST file a return.  The IRS will consider his undocumented income to be self-employment.
This previous TT answer explains how to file such income in TurboTax:  <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/3853005-as-self-employed-with-no-1099-do-i-report-as-1099misc-or-b...>

Thank you