Level 4

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

Paid Tax Preparers are required to obtain a PTIN number from the IRS (IRS Paid Preparer Tax Identification Number) and must put it on any tax return they are paid to prepare.  If you are just preparing your own tax return, you do not need a PTIN.  

However, if you are being paid to prepare tax returns for other people, you will need to use Form W-12 to apply for a PTIN.  Click here for a link to IRS Form W-12 Instructions: https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/iw12.pdf.