Can I claim my disabled girlfriend as a dependent if I supported her in 2016. She did not work due to disability. She resided with me, and I supported the household.

AmyW

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

Yes, you may be able to claim your girlfriend as a dependent if:

• You provided more than half of her support.
  • She made less than $4,050 in gross taxable income. (Social Security income generally doesn’t count here.)
  • She lives with you (365 days in the year) or they are related to you.
  • She isn't a dependent on someone else’s taxes.
  • She isn't doing her taxes with a spouse (married filing jointly).
  • She is a U.S. citizen, resident alien, national, or a Canadian or Mexican resident. 

You can’t claim a dependent if you are a dependent on someone else’s taxes

See Rules for Claiming a Dependent on Your Tax Return

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/tax-tips/Family/Rules-for-Claiming-a-Dependent-on-Your-Tax-Ret...

View solution in original post

What exactly does the "you MAY be able to claim her as a dependent" mean? What exactly would exclude me from him being able to claim me on his taxes? If the only disqualifiers are the bullet points above then he should be able to claim me. Here is our situation-I've been receiving Social Security disability benefits for about 12 years and I have lived with and been supported by my boyfriend the entire time.The check I receive from disability each month doesn't cover half of my support/living expenses. We keep a joint bank account and he spends all the money needed to support me in every way that I can't pay for after the social security disability check I get each month is spent. I can't seem to find a direct answer to my questions as to whether or not he can claim me on his taxes and if so can he go back for any # of yrs. ago that he dodnt claim me.Obviously we are of no direct relation but he certainly covers more than 50% of my support, bills, etc. every month and has since I became disabled about 15 yrs ago.
Convicted1900
Returning Member

If you haven't paid "your fair share" which is half then your federal benefit rate would be reduced by1/3rd and I think that comes up to 277.00 dollars a month,so unless he is going to make 277.00 dollars×12 months on his tax refund  I don't think I would be asking that question. 

@chrispy1486 If you have been living with your BF and he pays over half your support and your income was only Social Security then he can claim you as a dependent.  If you had earnings or other income from something besides SS that is  over $4200 in 2019 he cannot claim you for 2019.

If your BF has not been claiming you as a dependent for past years when he could have done so, he can amend as far back as 2016 to claim you as a "qualifying relative."

For 2018 and 2019 he would get the $500 credit for other dependents.

CREDIT FOR OTHER DEPENDENTS

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/4499708-what-is-the-500-credit-for-other-dependents-family-tax-cre...

For 2016 and 2017--if you qualify as his dependent then he can get the personal exemption of about $4000 for each of those years--which means less of his income would have been taxable and he would likely get a refund.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

@Convicted1900 You are mistaken,  Being claimed as a dependent would not cause the person's SS benefits to be reduced.  Where did you get that mis-information?  The IRS and SS allow a person who receives SS benefits to be claimed as a dependent on someone else's tax return if they otherwise qualify without reducing their benefits.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

WHO CAN I CLAIM AS A DEPENDENT?

You can claim a child, relative, friend, fiance (etc.) as a dependent on your 2019 taxes as long as they meet the following requirements:

Qualifying child

• They are related to you.

• They cannot be claimed as a dependent by someone else.

• They are a U.S. citizen, resident alien, national, or a Canadian or   Mexican resident.

• They are not filing a joint return with their spouse.

• They are under the age of 19 (or 24 for full-time students).

• No age limit for permanently and totally disabled children

They live with you for more than half the year (exceptions apply).

Qualifying relative

• They don't have to be related to you (despite the name).

• They cannot be claimed as a dependent by someone else.

• They are a U.S. citizen, resident alien, national, or a Canadian or Mexican resident.

• They are not filing a joint return with their spouse.

They lived with you the entire year.

• They made less than $4200  (not counting Social Security)

• You provided more than half of their financial support. More info

Can u

FangxiaL
Expert Alumni

Yes, u can. See explanations by @xmasbaby0.

@MeggieRocks

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"