budkeene

What's the easiest way to compare joint vs seperate filing?

What is the easiest way to compare joint vs seperate returns?  I have the joint return  done.

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

You are posting from Desktop TT.  There is a "what if" feature in Forms that will allow you to compare the two filing statuses.  Go to Forms, click open forms in the middle of the screen on top, and then type in what-if worksheet

You can choose to compare MFS to MFJ and see the difference.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

View solution in original post

flashsg5

This feature appears to have been removed.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/6860509

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/6047767

The answer tells me where to find, finally, the what-if feature but it only shows me federal. Is there a way to to the same thing for the state return without re-entering everything?

LeonardS
Expert Alumni

The only way to know for sure is to create test returns federal and state, one for each spouse, and compare the bottom lines. Be sure to prepare the state return so you can get a complete tax picture."

This link  How can we compare married filing jointly with married filing separately? has additional information you may find helpful.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"