kmd2

Claim dependent's spouse?

Hi, 

I used to claim both my parents as dependent, but this year when I submit my tax return, IRS rejected with the error "Review the Social Security numbers (SSN) for everyone on your return. Make sure they're accurate, and that a dependent's SSN doesn't match the spouse SSN on another return."

My mom has always been my dad's spouse. So is there a new law this year that prevents this?

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

Did your parents file a joint return already?
**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
kmd2

Ah yes, I forgot to put that. They have always filed jointly and this year they filed already

You cannot claim a dependent who filed a joint return.
**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
dweelea

This did not change this year - it has always been the case that you cannot claim someone as a dependent if they are married and file a joint return. So it is a mystery how you could have claimed them as dependents in previous years, if they had filed a joint return.