1099misc social security in EIN box

1099misc   I completed about nine 2018 1099misc  and the 1096 for IRS. I mailed them all on Jan 31st 2019.   We do NOT use and EIN number, we use my husbands social security number.  Unfortunately, I put the social security number in EIN box , which appeared on all of the documents as EIN number.  I contacted IRS they stated they cannot know how the computer will handle this until it is received.Do you suggest that I make new forms with the social security in the correct box  and mark the box at the top of the 1099 s as corrected?  There is not a box on the 1096 to show it is corrected.

Leonard
Intuit Alumni

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

Not all individuals or businesses that provide Form 1099MIisc have an EIN to enter in the Form and use their SSN.

This is not the preferred way but you have complied with the intent of the tax code by providing a Tax ID No.  If you have an EIN for your business at this time you can always file a corrected Form1099Misc.  If this was a one-time event you may want to wait for the IRS contact you regarding this issue and make any changes that they require.  They may or may not take any action on this issue.

It would be best to obtain an EIN if you will be issuing Form 1099misc in the future.   This will ensure compliance and also help prevent identity fraud/theft as you will no longer be putting your husbands SSN out in the public realm.