My ex-husband and I take turns claiming our children as a dependent. I pay for their health insurance. How do i resolve this?

I'm not sure if I should delete their info?  It doesn't seem like I should, but I can't claim them.  Is there a way to state that I am not claiming them this year, but keep their info in my account?
Phillip1

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

If this is in regards to deducting the health insurance, you can deduct your children's health insurance even if the other parent is claiming the children as dependents. If they are not going to be claimed as dependents on your return, removing the children is the safest choice to avoid issues. See the following from IRS Publication 502:

Child of divorced or separated parents.   For purposes of the medical and dental expenses deduction, a child of divorced or separated parents can be treated as a dependent of both parents. Each parent can include the medical expenses he or she pays for the child, even if the other parent claims the child's dependency exemption, if:

1. The child is in the custody of one or both parents for more than half the year,
  2. The child receives over half of his or her support during the year from his or her parents, and
  3. The child's parents:
  • Are divorced or legally separated under a decree of divorce or separate maintenance,
  • Are separated under a written separation agreement, or
  • Live apart at all times during the last 6 months of the year.

View solution in original post