jdkarhan

I received 1099-MISC with amount in box 6 for critical care insurance reimbursement. I am not self-employed so why do I have to complete Schedule C?

If I have to complete the Schedule C what do I put for the company name. I am not self-employed. The amount was to reimburse for out of the pocket medical bills that were not covered by insurance due to high deductible.

PatriciaR

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

You will need to enter the 1099-MISC under Other Common Income :  Follow these steps:

• Sign into your TurboTax account and click "Take me to my return"
  • Select Federal Taxes (top of program)
  • Select the Wages & Income sub-tab

Select "Add More Income" button if shown, then "See list of all income", if shown (you want to see a list of all income options)

Scroll down until you come to Other Common Income

NOTE: Do not select to enter the 1099-MISC under Self-Employment (keep scrolling until you come to Other Common Income to enter your 1099-MISC)

Under Other Common Income, select 1099-MISC

When at the 1099-MISC screen, click My form has other info in boxes 1-18. This will open additional boxes for entry including Box 6 Medical Payments

FOR A SHORTCUT : In the Search box (upper right of program), search "1099 misc" and select the "Jump to" link.  This will take you to the correct page to enter your 1099-MISC under Other Common Income.

Click on screenshot below for detail

View solution in original post

Aworkman

I’ve tried this and it still wants business information.  Any suggestions?

HelenC12
Expert Alumni

To enter your 1099-MISC so it doesn't generate a Schedule C and you are using TurboTax Online:

1. Sign in to TurboTax
  2. Search for 1099-misc.
  3. Select the Jump to 1099-misc link in the search results.
  4. Select Yes to Did you get a 1099-MISC?
  5. If you need to enter another 1099-MISC, select Add Another 1099-MISC to enter a new one.
  6. Enter the information from your 1099-MISC.
  7. If your form has an amount in more than one box, you’ll need to enter them as separate 1099-MISC forms. We’ll help you with that.
  8. On the Describe the reason for this 1099-MISC screen, enter a reason then Continue.
  9. On the Does one of these uncommon situations apply? screen, select None of these apply then Continue.
  10. On the Did the XXX involve work that’s like your main job? screen, select No, it didn’t involve work like my main job then Continue.
  11. On the How often did you get income from XXX? screen, select I got it in 2019 then Continue.
  12. On the Did the XXX involve an intent to earn money? screen, select No, it didn’t involve an intent to earn money then Continue.

To enter your 1099-MISC so it doesn't generate a Schedule C and you are using TurboTax CD\Download:

1. Sign in to TurboTax .
  2. Search for 1099-misc other income.
  3. Select the Jump to 1099-misc link in the search results.
  4. Select Yes to Did you get a 1099-MISC?
  5. If you need to enter another 1099-MISC, select Add Another 1099-MISC to enter a new one.
  6. Enter the information from your 1099-MISC.
  7. If your form has an amount in more than one box, you’ll need to enter them as separate 1099-MISC forms. We’ll help you with that.
  8. On the Describe the reason for this 1099-MISC screen, enter a reason then Continue.
  9. On the Does one of these uncommon situations apply? screen, select None of these apply then Continue.
  10. On the Did the XXX involve work that’s like your main job? screen, select No, it didn’t involve work like my main job then Continue.
  11. On the How often did you get income from XXX? screen, select I got it in 2018 then Continue.
  12. On the Did the XXX involve an intent to earn money? screen, select No, it didn’t involve an intent to earn money then Continue.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"