cloderup

My wife and I were married December 2016. We filed jointly, but my parents and her parents filed us both as their dependents because we lived with our own parents before we got married. We both made more than $3900... what should I do?

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

If you do nothing, your parents' returns will be modified by the IRS.  They can't claim you as dependents if you file a joint return -- your decision controls.

If you want to allow them to claim you, you need to file as married filing separately.  You will probably pay more in tax, although whether you will pay less than your parents will save is something that can only be answered by testing it.

Important: if you want to file separately, you must get those returns submitted by April 18.  You can't change from joint to separate after the normal deadline.

If you decide to change to separate filing, the person who is listed first on the joint return will file an amended return to change to married filing separately, remove your spouse's income and deductions.  Be sure to check the box for "I can be claimed as a dependent  on someone else's return."  Print and mail the amended return.  The person who is listed second on the joint return does not have to file an amended return, simply prepare a new return under married filing separately. Be sure to check the box for "I can be claimed as a dependent  on someone else's return."   That person will have to make a new account in Turbotax to do it, and will also have to print and mail in their return since e-filing will be blocked.

Amending instructions are below

Amend https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3288565

View solution in original post