Is blue cross blue shield health insurance a private insurance? I am not sure what to say when I am asked for the type of health insurance I have.

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

It is private insurance.

View solution in original post

I have blue cross through my husbands job so I would assume it depends on if you have it and are paying a premium or not.

what does it mean to pay a premium?
micah1131

are you asking in reference to when it ask if it's Medicaid Medicare etc etc.

yes
micah1131

If your paying a premium it's Medicare
If your not its Medicaid

I did not have medicaid or medicare for sure.
micah1131

What are the choices given to you again. I forgot because I already filed my taxes.
micah1131

Because I know blue cross has both a Medicare and Medicaid program. Though it's a private health insurance, I'm sure if your paying it falls under Medicare. But just to be sure like I said, what are the choice they give you to choose from.

Options are:
1. I have a private insurance
2. I have something else
micah1131

I would select a private insurance and see what it leads you into, if it doesn't sound like anything related to your insurance I would file it under Medicare, but if you feel that is sketchy I would call the IRS, and though you will be on hold for a while; explain to them and tell them the situation and ask them what you should file under, or call blue cross and ask them.
micah1131

Because as I said before, I'm pretty sure if your paying a premium even though it's a private insurance it should fall under Medicare, and if your not it falls under Medicaid. But once again if you feel that might be a bit sketchy, your best bet would be to call blue cross or the IRS and ask.