mdrennen9

Do I put 0 or 1 on a Form W4 for Tax Withholding Allowance?

What are the advantages and disadvantages of writing 0 and 1 and which one is better? I want to get the mimumin amount of withholding from my paycheck so that I can get paid more and not less. I am single and I am claiming myself and I have no dependents.
ThomasM

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

The higher the number, the less tax will be taken out of your pay.  So zero would result in the greatest withholding.  But there's a push-pull between withholding amounts and the tax calculation on your tax return:  the more you have withheld, the less you'll owe come tax time, and vice versa.  It's the tax return where the final tally is made; withholding is simply an estimate.

In your case, as a single filer without dependents, 1 allowance on your W-4 would be appropriate.

In addition to your W-2, if you are also paid on a 1099-MISC for side work as an independent contractor, then you may want to make estimated tax payments, since there's usually no withholding on 1099-MISC income.  Estimated payments allow you to "prepay" some of your taxes, thus reducing your bill at tax time.  You can read about estimated payments here:  https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040es.pdf.