wemayne

How do I open my return without making the updates. I just want to enter data and update later

KellyG

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

Your entries are saved as you complete each section, so if you are needing to review your return before you submit, please see below for details.. As you are reviewing,  you can make any updates or adjustments to be able to submit your return successfully.    Hope this Helps..

To preview your returns before Filing :

1. Click on My Account at the top of the online program screen. 
  2. Click on Tools
  3. Click on View Tax Summary
  4. Click on Preview my 1040
  • Was this helpful?
  • Helpful?
  • Yes
  • No

wemayne

This did not address my problem.  When I attempt to open Turbo Tax, I am prompted to download updates.  This is not presented as an option.  If I don't attempt to update, Turbo Tax closes.  I want to defer updating because every update requires me to get my office IT administrator involved.  I just want to load my data and do the updates when I am ready to complete the return.
KellyG

From your Turbo Tax TIMELINE,  you will see a ADD A STATE,(adding a state is not really adding a state, but will allow you to open up the return to view and update without downloading) this is on the bottom of the screen which will allow you to view the Full Return. It should bypass the issues you are having.    Hope this helps!..
wemayne

All I get on attempting to open is the Updater Window.  There is no Timeline there.  There are only two options:  update or close.  Update takes me to a window requiring administrator approval; close closes out of Turbo Tax.
KellyG

Below is the information that will allow you to get into the account without actually having to update..  All accounts have a Timeline, which is where you navigate from section to section.. Please review steps below to help with your concerns..   

Here's how to open an online return if TurboTax thinks you are finished, and you have not yet filed.  (also see the NOTE below) :
•If TurboTax thinks you are finished, there will be no orange "Take me to my return" (continue return) button.
•So in that case, scroll down to "Some things you can do."
•Choose "Add a State."  (you don't really add one; that's just to get the return to open up.)

NOTE:  Do NOT use this method to open a return to make changes to an already-filed return (one that has actually been mailed or e-filed.)   If you later need to make changes, you have to go through the formal amending process, and your return must start off exactly as originally filed.

I'm having the same problem.  Just want to complete a 2019 return without involving my IT administrator to update.  Don't need the update.  I paid for the product download but now can't access it because I can't get past the Update window.  

Any suggestions?

I have same problem !!!!! 

If the update is required you cannot open a tax file until it has been updated.     The only way to bypass that I know of is not to have internet access from that computer.   It TurboTax cannot connect to the server to check for updates then  it opens without checking.

(NOTE:  You should not need a IT administrator because the TurboTax license requires that you must own the computer to install TurboTax on it - so if you own the computer you are your own administrator.)

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

As an internet security expert, something seems fishy here! People buy a product, get it installed and use it, and then it requires an internet connection at a later date to be able to continue to use past the registration and initial updates. Why would Intuit need to connect to an end user's computer every time the application starts? What information is being transferred here? This could be seen as a serious privacy breach (at least in Canada) of very very confidential information.

This may be a question for the press or a privacy commissioner...

Thanks for your input and I am puzzled for the same reasons.  I paid for the download but can't access it without allowing admin access to my laptop.  I plan to call Turbotax support but my past experience tells me that I need to set aside significant time for such interactions...ughh.

Again, thank you.

No tax or personal information  is ever sent to TurboTax until you e-file and then it is encrypted for the IRS to read.

Because the IRS releases new forms when they are ready and TurboTax has no way to know what forms you will need, then if there is an update TurboTax simply checks if there is an update.     

If there is an update and it is not applied then the tax return might not be accurate and taxpayers would blame TurboTax for NOT applying the update when  there was one - damned if they do and damned if they don't.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

macuser_22, Turbotax issues updates well into March and April every year.  Are you saying if someone files in January or February, they are at risk for using the wrong form?

No - not at all.  If you filed then it should be correct.    If you need to file additional returns then updates may be required.  If you need to amend then updates are required.   When you start TurboTax it does not know what yiu need to do.   

To fulfill the TurboTax accuracy guarantee you must have the current release.

If you do not like the TurboTax policy then you can use another product, but that is how it works.

No need to get snarky about this. I've been using TurboTax products for 10+ years and never had a problem. 

I clearly understand the desire for turbotax to protect themselves from liability or their guarantee.  Think everyone's missing the point that I purchased a 2019 download because Turbotax and the state I live in won't allow me to file online any longer.  There is NOT an OPTION to file electronically through TurboTax.  I'm happy to waive any turbotax guarantee...I just want to be able to complete my taxes with the product that I purchased.  I could have filled out my taxes 3 times in the amount of time I've spent on the phone and online with customer service.  

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions and have a great day!