Verification info keep getting rejected and can not file state return

KatrinaLO
Intuit Alumni

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

If you requested a verification code from us within the last few hours, rest assured we’ve sent it and it’s on its way to you.

Please see below for more information on verification codes:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4576376

If the TurboTax program is preventing you from continuing with (or e-filing) your return, you can leave Box 9 blank (this may require you to delete the Form W-2 and re-enter it in the W-2 interview -  How do I delete forms in TurboTax Online?). See below.

From the IRS article IRS Expands W-2 Verification Code for Filing Season 2018:

For filing season 2018, the Internal Revenue Service has expanded the pilot to verify the authenticity of Form W-2 data. This initiative is one in a series of steps implemented by the Security Summit to combat tax-related identity theft and refund fraud.

The objective is to verify Form W-2 data submitted by taxpayers on e-filed individual tax returns. The IRS has partnered with certain payroll service providers (PSPs) to include a 16-character verification code on many Forms W-2 provided to employees.

For 2018:

• A Form W-2 with a verification code will display it in box 9, newly labeled “Verification Code.”
  • A Form W-2 without a verification code may include a blank box 9 or no box 9 at all.
  • The verification code will be displayed in four groups of four alphanumeric characters, separated by hyphens. Example: XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX.
  • The only valid characters are the letters A-F and the numerals 0-9.
  • The verification code will appear on Form W-2 copies B ("To be filed with employee's federal tax return") and C ("For employee's records").
  • Taxpayers without a verification code on their Form(s) W-2 may leave the verification code box blank in their tax software product.

Taxpayers and tax professionals are urged to enter the verification code when prompted by software, as it can speed the processing of the return and the issuance of the refund. However, omitted and incorrect verification codes will not delay the processing of a tax return.

The form will include these instructions to taxpayers and tax preparers: “Box 9. If you are e-filing and if there is a code in this box, enter it when prompted by your software. This code assists the IRS in validating the W-2 data submitted with your return. The code is not entered on paper-filed returns.”

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Sune78
Returning Member

please help me to figure out why i am not getting a second verification code & would like to finish soon

Sune78
Returning Member

please help me to continue

Sune78
Returning Member

I am not getting a 2nd code so don't know how to finish my taxes

EbonyL122824
Intuit Alumni

Try the steps in this FAQ here to receive your code. If you need further assistance, contact customer support here.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"