How do I access my account so that I can file 1099s?

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

How do I create W-2 and 1099 forms in TurboTax?

TurboTax Self-Employed, TurboTax Self-Employed Live, TurboTax Home & Business (Window version only), and TurboTax Business can create and print out W-2 and 1099-MISC forms for employees and contractors.

Other TurboTax versions (including Home & Business for Mac) don't have built-in W-2/1099 capability, but you can create an account at TurboTax Quick Employer Forms and use that to electronically file your W-2 and 1099s.

TurboTax Self-Employed and TurboTax Self-Employed Live

1.      Select Federal in the left menu.

2.      Select the Wages & Income tab at the top of the screen.

3.      Select Show more next to Self-Employment and select Start next to Income and Expenses.

4.      When asked Did you have any self-employment income or expenses? select Yes. Answer the questions to set up your self-employment work.

1.      If you've already set up your self-employment work

5.      You'll be asked Did you pay any employees in 2018? and Did you make these payments for your (type of work) work?On either screen select the link that says Help me prepare and file W-2s and 1099s.

6.      In the help panel, select the Quick Employer Forms link.

7.      This will open a new screen at the TurboTax Quick Employer Forms website. Select Continue.

8.      Select which forms you want to prepare and follow the instructions.

TurboTax Home & Business CD/Download software for Windows

Follow these directions if you want to generate W-2 or 1099-MISC forms to be paper-filed. (If you want to e-file your W-2s or 1099-MISCs and/or you need to file forms 1099-DIV or 1099-INT, use Quick Employer Forms instead.)

1.      Launch TurboTax Home & Business.

o    If you're already working on a tax return, you'll need to close it. Select New Tax Return from the File menu in the upper-left corner, then answer Yes to save the return you currently have open.

2.      Select the Prepare W-2/1099.

3.      On the next screen, click Choose Desktop and follow the instructions.

Related Information:

·         What is Quick Employer Forms?

·         Can TurboTax Business handle W-2 and 1099 forms for large businesses?

grexygyrl

I cannot access a MAC version for small business.

darrenq
Returning Member

Instructions not working for Windows download version of  Turbotax Home and Business 2020.  I am not given an option to prepare W-2/1099 like in previous years of H&B.    There is a handy offer for a free 1-year subscription to Quicken Starter, though.

If I go to the Quick Employer Forms website and login there, it tells me I have to buy TurboTax and gives no other options for support.  There seems to be no way to access employer forms online through Turbotax desktop, and no way to tell employer forms online to recognize that I've purchased and verified Turbotax H&B 2020.

Update: while waiting for support on infinite hold, I found the link in TurboTax.  Correct instructions for 2020 TurboTax Home & Business Windows Download:

1.      Launch TurboTax Home & Business.

2.      Select "Continue" for your 2020 Tax Return

3.      Go to Schedule C, Other Common Business Income and Expenses, Enter Contract Labor Expenses

If you have not started a return, you may have to start the business expenses section first

4.      At the end of the text above the entry fields click the "Start here" link where it says "Create and file W-2s and 1099s online with TurboTax Quick Employer Forms.  Start here"

Irene2805
Expert Alumni

Thank you, @darrenq, for those instructions.

If you haven't started a return yet:

1. On the TurboTax home screen, click on the blue Start a New Return box. 
  2. On the next screen, What would you like to do, mark the radio button next to Prepare W-2s and 1099s for my employees or contractors and click Continue.
  3. You will be given the choice to prepare the forms online or on your computer.