Does turbo tax 1099-misc file electronically with the IRS or do I need to mail to the IRS

I have Turbo Tax home and business for completing both our individual personal tax return and our self-employed business tax return.  I need to prepare a 1099-MISC for a subcontractor (box 7 non-employee compensation).  The IRS deadline for 2017 filing this is 1/31/2018.  I won't have the other information for completing my individual & business tax return until the end of February.  If I use Turbo Tax home and business to complete the 1099-MISC by the 1/31/2018 deadline -- can I e-file just that portion electronically with the IRS and then later use Turbo Tax home and business to e-file my individual and sole-proprietor business tax return  or do I need to mail a paper copy of the 1096 and 1099-MISC to the IRS?

Critter
Level 15
Intuit Approved! This answer has been verified for accuracy by an Intuit expert employee

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

After you have completed the 1099 forms the QEF program can efile them for you ... just follow the screen instructions to do that AND save a PDF for your files AND print the copies for the sub contractors that you need to mail or deliver to them by 1/31.

FAQs ...  https://quickemployerforms.intuit.com/faq.htm

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3301452

View solution in original post

So -- I can e-file the 1099-MISC to the IRS and then later in March e-file my 1040 which includes Schedules C and E for Form 1040?  In other words - I will be performing 2 separate e-files to the IRS?

Yes ... they are submitted to to separate places and not submitted together.  If you have a state 1099 filing requirement you must do that separately.
hfluss
Returning Member

You mentioned state filings for 1099-MISC.

States are now requiring electronic filings of 1099-MISC. Can that be done through QEF or a TT product? I actually have a number of different states which complicates matters.

Until QEF is operational that is a question that cannot be answered. In the past state forms had to be handled separately...either by mailing them in or using the state’s online system.