Get your taxes done using TurboTax

I don't really want or need TurboTax to remind me, should I say nag me, about my operating system.  If TurboTax will run on Windows 7, fine, leave scare tactics to MicroSoft and let me do my taxes in peace!

@chlpatent wrote:

Well MS is support Win 7 for enterprises beyond 2020, so Intuit better support Win 7 in the near future, as should others...through 2023.

They will not support it, and that is the point. You can complain about it until doomsday but that will not change the fact that ALL consumer-level, tax preparation software companies will not support Windows 7 after the 2019 tax year. There will be no alternatives other than using online versions.

Time will tell. 

That assumes they will ignore the potential business from millions of PC users, including enterprise users (businesses), who are staying with Win 7 and 8, enterprise users can get extended updates from MS until 2023, so they say.

As for "upgrading" to Win 10: remember what happened with the Oct 2018 Win 10 update?  That's when we gave up on W10 and rolled back to Win 7 several PCs.

Just not worth the risk of losing data (well backed up off-line but still) and having to reinstall the OS which is time consuming.  Not to mention the updates that take many hours with many reboots.  MS is just acting like a typical monopolist and taking users for granted.

If nobody offers a Win 7 ver of tax software in the future, it'll have to be done on-line using a vpn, not my preference, but no way am I going to install Win 10 ever again.   I'd rather use H&R Bloke!

Tell me why software geeks can't make a tax program that is backwards compatible anyway? One could set up a machine to dual boot Win 7 and Win 10, and just use Win 10 for the tax software I suppose, and ignore the Win 10 update problems.

If I run TurboTax off-line (from the internet) on a Win 7 machine, storing data on an encrypted data drive, where is the "risk" from hacking? When I e-file? Unless someone got physical access to my PC, I have no worries.  And if someone gets physical access, well Win 10 is not going to save you either.

It seems absurd that Intuit will continue to make a version of TT for Apple MACs, but not for Win 7. MACs apparently are only 10% of the computers in use, whereas currently, Win 7 PCs are more than twice that at 26%.

It just does not make sense...unless MS is paying companies to no longer make Win 7 and 8 software?

MS probably makes a lot of money selling usage data collected from Win 10 machines. Just not something I want to participate in.

DLE
Level 3

I just downloaded TT 2019 Home and Business because Advantage account billed me and notified me it was available for download.  First off, TT website crashed my Explorer 11.  Downloaded latest version of Chrome and was only then able to successfully access site and download TT 2019. During the installation process a TT 2019 screen pops up warning of terrible consequences of using TT 2019 with Window 7 (suppose the attorneys got involved) but then proceeds to allow you to choose to continue using Window 7.  All appeared well...  But TT 2019 Home and Business would not launch on my CORE2Duo 4G desktop.  Just for kicks, tried loading onto my COREi5 8G laptop and it actually loaded, updated, and appears to be ready to run.  Time will tell I suppose.

When I launch TT2019 on the laptop, I get the same nasty warnings about Windows 7.  Kinda makes me think TT and MS are in this together.  REGARDLESS, I HATE WINDOWS 10!

DLE
Level 3

May be time to stop spending $ on software and pay an accountant!

Thought I just read somewhere around here not to use IE11 but download it with Chrome or another browser.

Just be happy you are not using a MAC which requires you to update every 3 years ...

Here are the system requirements to install Turbo Tax for Windows…..

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/system-requirements/help/minimum-system-requirements-for-turbotax-...

Here are the system requirements to install Turbo Tax for MAC…..

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/system-requirements/help/minimum-system-requirements-for-turbotax-...

Online version system requirements

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/system-requirements/help/turbotax-online-system-requirements/00/25...

WIN 10 took all night last night to update the one PC we use it on...OMG what a bad joke Win 10 is...

I used FireFox to DL TT Win 7 version and had no issues on my old PC installing it.  I stopped using Explorer many many moons ago due to all the security flaws and other hassles it caused, back when we were still using XP-Pro x64, which by the way, worked pretty well.

TT has had it's own share of glitches, but seems very responsive to getting them fixed or providing a work-around promptly - last year's version had an issue with not letting me change the estimated tax paid - it was stuck on the amount it had come up with the prior year. They gave me a work around within a few hours after contacting them.

On the other hand, ever tried getting a response from MS?  Good luck with that.

All I can say, Intuit if you're listening, is if next tax year you do not offer a Win 7 version of your program to the estimated 25% of PC still running it, but do offer a MAC version to the estimated 10% of computers running the Apple OS, then you have no business sense.

No computer operating system is completely hack-proof, and hyping up the supposed risks of continuing to use Win 7 vs down-grading to Win 10, is non-sense.  And the more people that go for Win 10, the bigger a target Win 10 will become.  It happened to Apple's OS - when a mere 2-3% of computers ran it, no hacker bothered to attack it, and Apple could run those stupid commercials claiming OS was somehow less vulnerable than Windows.

I do wish Intuit would eliminate that warning message about using Win 7 that I have to respond to every time I start the program. Is it an attempt to cover their behinds if TT gets hacked?  Whatever...

I get the same warning from MS everytime I open the computer ... get used to it, they are not going away.

I don't get the MS nag when I use Win 7 because I did not install or uninstalled the "nag" updates.  These are them if one wants to avoid the nag.  Be sure to make a backup of your registry before editing it in case you make a mistake.  You can look these up on-line, but the MS description of them is often vague and misleading since they want everyone to  stop using Win 7, alas:

KB4493132  - notify end of support for Win 7 date

KB3173040 - reminder of June/July 2016 deadline July 29 for free upgrade to Win 10

KB3150513 - “upgrade enabling” patch

KB3123862 -  lets users easily learn about Windows 10 or start an upgrade to Windows 10

There are also a couple of Register entries one can change if uninstalling those "updates" doesn't do the trick - if those keyword don't exist one can create them and set them as described:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Gwx
Under this key, the 32-bit DWORD value “DisableGwx” is set to 1 or completely deleted.
These will be referred to as the “Gwx” key and the “DisableGwx” value. This key and value control the display of the “Get Windows 10” offer icon in the system tray. When DisableGwx is set to 1, the upgrade offer icon is suppressed.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate
Under this key, the 32-bit DWORD value “DisableOSUpgrade” is set to 1 or completely deleted.
These will be referred to as the “WindowsUpdate” key and the “DisableOSUpgrade” value. This key and value control the downloading and installation of any upgrades to Windows. When DisableOSUpgrade is set to 1, any previously downloaded Windows 10 files are deleted and Windows will never attempt to upgrade the current operating system.

Oh, I should have mentioned this information and these tweaks come from a little program called "Never10" which simplifies the process if one is wary of editing the registry oneself or if the Win 10 nags persist.

DLE
Level 3

Update...

After deleting all older versions of TurboTax  I was able to successfully load and open TT 2019 Home & Business using my desktop Windows 7 computer.  My 2018 data loaded and program appears to be functioning properly.  I'm hoping Intuit/TT doesn't decide "upgrades" are needed to disable operation on Windows 7.

As already mentioned ... the 2019 TT program will be allowed to work on WIN 7 (even though it will not be secure)   however the 2020 program will NOT work ... so you have a year to either upgrade  OR  switch to the Online version.  

Are you a spokesperson for TurboTax/Intuit, or are you just assuming?

Are they going to eliminate TT for Mac's as well?  Only about 10% of computers use IOS.

And how secure is Win 10 anyway - did people not notice the major security update MS just issued for Win 10 this month?

Absurd.

@chlpatent  You are posting on another person post & it is 6 months old.  No one answering you is a TurboTax employee, they are users just like you would know the answers & spend their time helping others, some are retired tax prepares, accountants, etc.  They have answered your questions with the correct answers.  If you need more information please contact TurboTax Support at the following link.

https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/