My Social Security Income only increased by $660.00 last year; however my taxes due on SSI increased by $500.00???

I had a deduction from my IRA which was required after I reached 75.  Box 7 on my 1099-R says IRA/SEP/Simple.  Last year I received all of that money, but this year I have to pay $514.00. What happened?  As I stated above, I only increased income by $660.00

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

The amount of social security that is taxable up to 85% is dependent on how much other taxable income you had. The taxable amount of your 1099-R in box 2a is considered when determining how much of your social security is taxable. 

View solution in original post

You are calculating as my distribution is an early withdrawal.  It is not.  I have the necessary amount sent to me monthly.  Any extra distribution I request has a 10% withholding I requested.

Since you were over 59 1/2 when you took the distribution, TurboTax would not calculate the early withdrawal penalty on any distribution. You owe ordinary income tax on the entire amount of a traditional IRA distribution unless you contributed some after tax dollars to the IRA. What amounts are in boxes 1 and 2a of your 1099-R?