Can I claim someone on Medicaid?

I'm a resident of Louisiana. I have 4 individuals living with me and all 4 are have Medicaid an receive foodstamps. I provide more than50%of their  support .. Two  are in college and receive financial aid.. Can I claim them on my taxes without it affecting their Medicade or food stamps they receive?

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

Yes if you meet the criteria, you may claim them. It doesn't affect their taxes and their qualifications to receive  benefits.

To claim a child as a dependent, he or she must:
*            be your child (or adoptive or foster child), sibling, niece, nephew or grandchild; 
*            be under age 19, or under age 24 and a fulltime student for at least five months of the year; or be permanently disabled, regardless of age; 
*            have lived with you for more than half the year; and 
*            have provided no more than half his or her own support for the year.

To claim an adult  or a child that does not qualify above, as a dependent:

·       You provided more than half of their support.

·       They made less than $4,050 in gross taxable income. 

·       They lived with you for the entire year.

·       They are not a dependent on someone else’s taxes.

·       They are not filing a joint return with someone else.

·       They are a U.S. citizen, resident alien, national, or a Canadian or Mexican resident.  

View solution in original post

My daughter had a baby in September 2018. They both live with me. She works and made it about $6000. She did not qualify for Medicaid until around the end of June. Can I claim both of them? I made around 38,000.  I also have a son that graduated in May. He made probably around $10,000. Can I also claim him?

Forgot to tell you she is 23 years old. My son is 19

Were either one of them full-time students in 2018?
**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

My son was a high school student until he graduated in May.  My daughter was not a student at all in 2018.