TAX Return rejected due to Tax Returns field by my 18 year old dependent

I filed tax return for my 18 year old, who is full time student, and earned under $1000 in 2018. Although she was not required to file, but I made her file using TurboTax  online form so that she gets familiar with concept. (Earlier TT software advised that my kid should do her own taxes).

Fast forward, now I am about to file my return, and both my State and Federal returns got rejected. The reason stated is

--------

"A Dependent SSN in the return must not be the same as the Primary or Spouse SSN on another return where 'PRimaryClaimAsDependentInd' or 'SpouseClaimAsDependentInd' is not checked.

This return has been rejected by the IRS because you claimed a dependent as an exemption on your tax return, but this dependent has also filed their own tax return claiming a personal exemption.

…..you must delete this dependent.

If you still want to claim this dependent on your return, you must print and file by mail.

----------------

What am I missing?

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

just looked at her tax return docs and notice a mistake... she did not check the box "Someone can claim you as a dependent"

What now? What is my recourse? Is there a way to correct her tar return?

She needs to amend her return
PaulaM
Expert Alumni

@main0stage You will have to paper file if you wish to claim your daughter on your return. And your daughter will need to amend to indicate that someone can claim her. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you. I supposed it must be done in right order, i.e. I first amend my daughters return and then file my return atbkater date. Hence apply for extension on my return.

Remember the extension is only for time and not for money .... if you owe that has to be sent in today to avoid penalties and interest even if you request a delay
PaulaM
Expert Alumni

@main0stage Paper filing your return will be faster than waiting on your daughters return to be amended. Amended returns can take up to 16 weeks to process. Mailed returns take 6-8 weeks to process. If you extend, do pay any taxes due by 4/15/19 to the federal and state. 

IRS direct pay

Check with your state revenue site for direct payment options.

PaulaM thank you again. Let me rephrase my question. When my paper based tax-return reaches IRS, wouldn't they run into same issue of my daughter's return already in the records where she cannot be claimed as dependent? Could my paper-based tax return then rejected as well for same reason?

PaulaM
Expert Alumni

The IRS won't reject it. They generally contact both parties to see who is entitled to claim the dependency. This is quite common with parents/children.

View solution in original post

We have attempted to Claim our Son 2 years in a row with no success.   The reason - he makes more than 4K per year!  And of course this isn't the situation in your family I know.

But the reason why the IRS is most likely Rejecting your Return is because you Claimed your Daughter as a Dependant and she too Filed.   So they most likely want to compare the 2 Tax Filings to ascertain there isn't an overlapping of dependants.

Yes, and you may be able to do so on the Federal website.   Check it out.   As a Student the IRS is so very tolerant of much.

How old is your child and is he / she s full time student?

There is NO income test for a child that is either 1) under 17 or 2) under 24 and a full time student

There are a number of other tests but the income test is only for any other dependent outside the 2 scenarios noted in the prior paragraph

My Son was Full Time, but not younger.  My inability to Claim him was based on his income - as I was led to believe by the answer and subsequent response via the Turbo Tax response.  And believe me when I confirm that we did provide more than 1/2 his support.

As a full time student but over 23 years old, then yes, can’t claim if child’s Income was over $4150

Will not reject the on-line filing or the paper filing?   I have the exact same situation.  We have mailed a paper amended return for my son to correct the error.    Once his amended return is processed can I file electronically or should I print and mail my return now?   I am expecting a small refund.  

2nd question - COVID 19 stimulus payments.  If the IRS uses my son's status before the amendment is processed I suppose there is a chance he would get a $1200 check - which would be an error.  I also suppose there is a chance I will not get the $500 per child ( he is the only dependent left).  Any words of wisdom here?   Should I mail my paper return asap and hope the IRS enters that information before the stimulus payments?