I don’t have a ein and it’s keep asking for one

KatrinaLO
Intuit Alumni

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

Providing your Employer Identification Number (EIN) from your W-2 allows us to identify the easiest way for you to enter your W-2 form (you also need it to e-file).

The best place to look is in Box b of your W-2 form, located right above or below your employer's name and address.

Your EIN will be a 9-digit number with a dash after the second digit (example: 00-0000000). Keep in mind, an EIN is not the same thing as an Employer’s State ID number or your Employee Number.

For more information on correcting your EIN, please see the TurboTax FAQ below:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/5660674

For more information on your employer’s EIN not matching, please see below:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4587566

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I am self employed and TurboTax keeps asking me for an EIN number. It’s not giving me any other option and won’t let me file electronically because of this. 

TeresaM
Expert Alumni

To be sure that Turbo Tax has entered that you do not have an Employer Identification Number, in TurboTax Online:

1. Click on Federal, on the left menu bar
  2. Click on Income and Expenses, at the top
  3. Select Review for Self-employment Income and Expenses
  4. Select Edit or Review for the name of your business
  5. Select Update for Employer ID Number
  6. Be sure the No box is checked and follow directions until you are back at the update screen

You will need to have filed for an Employer Identification Number if:

- You pay employees in your business.
 - You don't pay wages, but have excise tax forms or other returns to file that require an EIN.
 - You are a sole proprietor or farmer and have a Keogh plan.
 - You are required to withhold taxes on income, other than wages paid to a nonresident alien.

If you received a 1099-NEC or 1099-MISC, you may be prompted for the EIN on those forms. If your own business area is already checked No, please see those forms and be sure the EIN is entered.

I do not have an EIN number. 
I am self employed, I do not own a business or do I pay employees, and I have checked No for my EIN number, but it still asks me for one at the very end of my process. Thus not allowing me to file, because I do not have an EIN number. 
What can I do about this?

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

If you don't have an EIN, there is an opportunity to put in your Social Security Number if you are a Sole Proprietorship. 

aliculp

Right before I try to file online, it asks me for my EIN number (even though I do not have one nor do i qualify). I have already entered my SS but at the end it's still insisting on the EIN number being entered. I would like to file my taxes already, so how do I fix this? 

HeatherPLO
Intuit Alumni

@aliculp

Where you enter in your social security number, do you see a box where you would need to check Social Security Number or EIN?  If this box isn't checked, this might be why it is still asking you for an EIN.  If this does not resolve your issue, please respond back here in the thread.  

there is no box next to social security for mark no for personal ein#

SantinoD
Expert Alumni

On the General Info screen within the Self-employment income screen, it should look like the screenshot below, "No EIN" selected. 

@galactika01 

yes, ok, mine said no, but turbo was still asking.  i resolved another way. thanks!